Yoga is not black and white, but a little bit of common sense goes a long way. Classes are sacred time; it’s when you can relax your mind and connect to your body as it breathes itself into awareness. We’re here to find our zen.
Here are some ways to get more out of yoga classes:
1) Focus is key. When you attend a yoga class, you need to focus. If your mind wanders off, it becomes difficult to pay attention to your body which increases risk of injury.
- If you don’t attend classes regularly, you will not gain the full benefits that will accrue over time.
- Commit to a regular practice to see progress and get results.
- Regular yoga will gradually increase flexibility and strength – they are important in helping your mind stay clear.
3) Be aware of difficult postures
- Take small steps, go slowly.
- Don’t push yourself beyond your limits.. it’s not a competition.
- Patience and persistence will get you to your goals.
4) Don’t compare yourself to others
- Pretend you’re the only person in the room.
- Focus inwards on your own progress. This is your journey.
- Remember that all body types are different.
5) Go to class on an empty stomach.
- Don’t have a meal before yoga class.
- It is recommended not to eat less than 1-2 hours before the session.
- If you’re hungry and must eat, snack on vegetables and fruit.
- Practicing on a full stomach can limit the physical movement and cause nausea during twists, deep forward bends and inversions. Digesting food uses energy and can drain you and make you feel lethargic. It’s not worth it – keep your stomach empty.
Yoga is meant to help you de-stress and relax. Follow these simple guidelines for a much more enjoyable yoga experience! Please go to www.deafrootsandwings.com to sign up!